Burying Time Capsule

Burying Time Capsule
1859 - 150th Anniversary of Parish - 2009 (photo by Scott & Debbie Travers )

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Hanging of the Greens

     Last sunday our service was "The Hanging of the Greens" First sunday of Advent.  
Look up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawings near.
(Luke 21:28) 
     “The Hanging of the Greens is a service for the first Sunday in Advent. It is based on the English tradition of decorating the home with wreaths, garlands, a Christmas tree, and evergreens for Advent and Christmas. In a church setting, it readies the sanctuary (and church members) for the season. This service assumes a Protestant setting. It is adapted from an unknown source to reflect a process-relational theology.  Suggested hymns may be replaced by your favorites or appropriate anthems from a choir.”
Info cf. http://processandfaith.org/resources/liturgy/hanging-greens-first-sunday-advent
Above is a devotional calendar found at the back of the church - please take one.
* * * * * * * * * *
     Today's devotional starts with a reading from Mark 1:1-3 
"Look, I am sending my messenger before  you.  He will prepare your way."
- Mark :2b.   
     The Reading starts, "Do you think there was anyone in Jesus' day who was as busy as we are today?"  
     The Reading ends, "Prayer: God, guide my thoughts and help me spend time in your Word. Help me listen with more than my ears.  Prepare my heart to hear your melody of love, so that I can pass along the song of those who may need to hear it.  Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment